Thursday, June 16, 2011

professional blogs vs. the ticking clock


As part of an RSS assignment for my Instructional Applications of the Internet course, I've started following the feeds of several educational technology related blogs. I think it will be a learning experience and that my selection of blogs will be fluid, to say the least. As I follow what they cover, I imagine I'll likely find some to be irrelevant to my interests and stop following them. I have to wonder though, if I hone my list to those that I think are worthwhile and only read/follow what they have to offer, will I become ignorant to other emerging (or just unknown) blogs that could be even better? I feel that by following these blogs, I'm still being fed information that other people think is important. I rarely browse the internet just to see "what's new", I tend to look for specific information to help solve a problem. I can appreciate having the latest postings from important sources at my fingertips, but if I want to know something specific, I'll still use Google to find what I need.
One day I hope to have time in my life to browse the internet for news that I'm interested in, but for now that's just not possible for me. I'm glad that this class is pushing me towards it, perhaps I'll be able to develop a habit of using the internet more as a professional development tool. Time will tell!

No comments:

Post a Comment